Most of us with dogs realize that training isn’t a part-time job. Hopefully it will become easier, and more fun as time goes by, but it’s never really over. There are, however, some times when you should just stop – for now. If you find yourself in any of these situations, stop training and come back to it later.
1. If you find yourself frustrated, tired, or unable to concentrate.
2. If your dog is just not responding to you. He may be in pain, tired, hungry, or confused.
3. If you find yourself rushing through a training session due to other time commitments.
4. If it is too hot or too cold to be comfortable. Either take it inside, or stop and come back to it later.
5. If you find yourself getting angry, or having thoughts of physical punishment.
6. If you have been training for a length of time and your dog seems to be “going backward.”
If you find yourself in any of these situations over and over, take a step back and ask for help. Call a trainer and get some advice. There are many reasons that your training can hit a speed bump. Recognizing the signs can keep you sane and everybody happy.
FamilyPet loves your dogs and cats and want to get them the best products and services that exist today! Sometimes it’s hard to find the best pet supplies or services and even when you find them they can be very expensive! We started FamilyPet to be your one stop for everything (and anything) pet related!