What is the danger of my cat eating raisins?

Proper FAP familypet_belowtitle

Cats may have earned a reputation for being picky eaters, but the truth is that they are actually very curious about everything and are often found sampling items that their owners are eating, including fruits and vegetables that can be potentially toxic for them.

Grapes and raisins fall into the category of food items that you should avoid allowing your cat to ever eat. While experts aren’t entirely sure what the problematic ingredients in grapes and raisins are, they often cause irreversible kidney failure in cats that consume them. While some foods that are toxic to cats have a cumulative effect, even a small number of raisins and grapes can make your cat very sick.

Some of the other negative health concerns that your cat could experience include:

  • Unexplained hyperactivity
  • Vomiting that doesn’t ease up
  • Diarrhea
  • Dehydration

While some cats can eat a few raisins and even a few grapes without showing any ill effects, it is best not to risk it, and avoid allowing them access to the fruit.

If you suspect that your cat is showing signs of having ingested raisins or grapes, you should not hesitate to take them to the vet. The sooner that your vet is able to start a treatment program for your cat, the greater the cat’s chances of making a full recovery. With grapes and raisins being potentially life-threatening for your cat, it is best that you act proactively for your cat’s health.

FamilyPet loves your dogs and cats and want to get them the best products and services that exist today! Sometimes it’s hard to find the best pet supplies or services and even when you find them they can be very expensive! We started FamilyPet to be your one stop for everything (and anything) pet related!
Proper FAP familypet_belowcontent