What is a healthy recipe for a birthday cake for my cat?FamilyPet
Celebrating your cat’s birthday can be a fun event for the whole family. While your cat might not wholly appreciate your efforts on his special day, everyone else in the family certainly will. Because cats should avoid dairy, wheat, and chocolate ingredients that are often found in birthday cakes made for people, it is recommended that you avoid those ingredients in your feline dessert.
Here’s a recipe for a delicious salmon birthday perfect for your feline friend:
- 6 oz skinless, boneless salmon
- ¼ cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
- ½ cup of chopped celery
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup of water
- Preheat your oven to 325 °F
- Mix all of the ingredients in your food processer until well blended
- Lightly spray muffin or mini muffin baking trays with non-stick cooking spray and pack the mixture into the muffin tins. You should be able to make two large muffins or four smaller mini muffins with this recipe.
- Bake at 325 °F for 45 minutes.
Allow to cool thoroughly before serving to your cat for his birthday.
If cookies are more your cat’s idea of a birthday treat, consider baking these great catnip cookies! Be sure that your cat isn’t sensitive to any of the ingredients included in the recipe before you feed them to your birthday feline.
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup of soy flour
- 1 teaspoon of dried catnip flakes
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of wheat germ
- 1/3 cup of powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon of unsulfured molasses
- 2 tablespoons of butter or vegetable oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in your mixing bowl
- Add the rest of the ingredients, one at a time and thoroughly mix together
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface and cut into desired shapes using a knife or cookie cutters
- Bake for 20 minutes
Allow the cookies to cool completely before offering them to your cat. You can store leftovers in an airtight container for up to seven days.