What are the best diets to serve English Springer Spaniels?FamilyPet
English Springer Spaniels tend to gain weight easily, and that will be your primary concern when exploring food options. The breed should weigh between 45 and 55 pounds. Based on his size, your dog’s daily caloric allotment should be 25 to 30 calories for every five pounds of body weight, with snacks comprising no more than 10 percent.
Obesity and overweight is on a fast up rise, and it can result in an assortment of chronic problems that will result not only in astronomical veterinary bills, but can also reduce her life by as much as 2.5 years. English Springer Spaniels are prone to hip dysplasia so you don’t want added pressure on her joints.
This breed is seldom a picky eater and really doesn’t mind being fed the same food each day—but if you see that she’s gaining weight, consider decreasing her daily caloric allotment by 20 percent and make sure she’s getting enough exercise; try to aim for at least 45 minutes a day, but if she’s been inactive, start slower, perhaps with a 10-minute walk, working up to more.
Of course, you’ll want to check with your veterinarian or pet nutritionist for other weight-loss ideas.
Other points to consider:
• Make sure that the diet you are offering is complete, balanced, and digestible and has a high nutrient density.
• The food should preferably be one that’s preserved with Vitamin E, because that vitamin is not only a natural preservative, but also an antioxidant.
• Feed little and often, dividing the food into two or three meals.
• Temperature can have a marked effect on palatability; so if she’s turning up her nose, consider warming it for a few seconds in the microwave to bring out some appealing smells.
• Fat can be a little hard to digest, but if she doesn’t have any digestive problems, you may want to consider increasing that nutrient’s content a little. English Springer Spaniels tend to have high activity levels, and fat is a good source of energy.
• Always remove food that is not eaten after 10 to 15 minutes!