How can I select a quality supplement for my cat that contains Brewers yeast?FamilyPet
A quality brewers yeast supplement should include B vitamins, vitamin C, minerals, a little garlic, amino acids, enzymes, herbs and perhaps a flavoring like peanut butter.
Here’s why B vitamins are so essential:
• There are many different B vitamins, from B1 to B12 and things like biotin. They each play an essential role in the health of your cat’s skin, coat and eyes. They assist in fat, protein and carbohydrate metabolism to keep energy levels high, and they support liver and nervous system. In fact, Niacin, a B vitamin, is only found in meats. Cats are carnivores, which mean they must have meat to survive, and if your cat isn’t getting enough meat, a niacin deficiency could result in appetite and weight loss and red, inflamed gums. Thiamin is another B vitamin, which is considered to be a flea repellent. Riboflavin (also referred to as Vitamin B2) plays an essential role in cellular processes, energy and metabolism.
• Vitamin C is an important antioxidant, and vitamin C supplements are often given to growing, pregnant, lactating and stressed pets. It plays an important role in bone formation and makes the urine a little more acid, thereby discouraging the formation of bladder stones.
NOTE: Both B vitamins and vitamin C are water-soluble which means they are excreted, therefore eliminating concern for toxicity.
• Garlic. The amount should only be five percent of less. In very small amounts, garlic helps to prevent fleas, which are not only uncomfortable, but can also cause an allergic reaction, since many animals are allergic to them. However, it’s very important to feed only small amounts, but this substance can also be harmful. Both onions and garlic contain a substance (N-propyl disulphide), which destroys red blood cells in the cat, causing a form of anemia called Heinz body anemia. Garlic contains a similar substance in a lesser amount.
• Minerals, enzymes, herbs, amino acids: You should see some of these on the label, because they can work together to help fight free radicals, which are responsible for illness.
• Peanut butter or other flavors. Brewers yeast can have a bitter, somewhat unpleasant taste, so these flavors are sometimes added to make it a little more palatable.