Holiday Horror as Family Pet Undergoes Life-Saving Operation After Eating 50 Hair Bands

In a baffling incident, a two-year-old pug named Ham from Sherborne, Dorset, underwent emergency surgery after ingesting an astonishing 200 grams of hairbands. The dog’s owner, Victoria Northwood, 50, was startled by the revelation that her pet had consumed such a large number of everyday items.

Regularly inspect your home for small objects like coins, buttons, and batteries that pets could swallow.

Photo: Pexels
Regularly inspect your home for small objects like coins, buttons, and batteries that pets could swallow.

Discovery of the Hazard

The saga unfolded when Northwood noticed a change in Ham’s behavior over the Christmas period. Typically known for her energetic and boisterous demeanor, particularly her habit of barking at passersby, Ham had become unusually quiet, signaling that something was amiss, reports KDH News. Northwood’s decision to contact Newton Clarke Veterinary Surgeons for a precautionary check-up proved crucial.

5. Keep foods that are toxic to pets, like chocolate and grapes, in high or locked cabinets.

Photo: Pexels
5. Keep foods that are toxic to pets, like chocolate and grapes, in high or locked cabinets.

Unforeseen Complications

Upon examination, veterinarians were stunned to discover a substantial quantity of hairbands in Ham’s stomach, weighing over 200 grams. This unexpected finding necessitated immediate surgical intervention, during which approximately 50 to 60 hairbands were removed, reports the New York Post.

Small items can become choking hazards for pets if ingested.

Photo: Pexels
Small items can become choking hazards for pets if ingested.

The Road to Recovery

The surgery was successful, and Ham has since made a full recovery, returning to her usual mischievous antics at home. Northwood expressed her relief and vowed to be more vigilant in the future to prevent similar incidents.

Ham’s veterinarians were glad the dog was feeling much better since the operation, and told is “back to causing mischief at home – and hopefully, no longer on the hunt for hairbands,” reports the Bournemouth Echo

Northwood has vowed to monitor her pets closely, as even common household objects can pose significant health risks. Moreover, such incidents are not isolated, with various reports of dogs ingesting socks, rubber ducks, and even cash, leading to emergency procedures, the BBC reports.

Hair bands and rubber bands can cause serious health issues for pets.

Photo: Pexels
Hair bands and rubber bands can cause serious health issues for pets.

Preventive Measures and Awareness

This incident serves as a stark reminder to pet owners about the importance of monitoring their pets’ environments and behavior. Simple items like hairbands, often overlooked, can pose serious health hazards if ingested. Pet owners are encouraged to keep such items out of reach and to be alert to any changes in their pet’s behavior or appetite, as these could be signs of ingestion of foreign objects.

Ham’s story, while distressing, ends on a positive note with her recovery and return to normal life. Given the unpredictability of pet behavior, constant vigilance by pet owners is critical. Regular check-ups with veterinarians and a keen eye for any behavioral changes can go a long way in ensuring the safety and well-being of our beloved pets.

Click below and commit to creating safe spaces for your pets at home.

Rare White Alligator Fights For Survival After Swallowing 70 Coins Tossed By Zoo Visitors: Click “Next” below!

Matthew Russell is a West Michigan native and with a background in journalism, data analysis, cartography and design thinking. He likes to learn new things and solve old problems whenever possible, and enjoys bicycling, spending time with his daughters, and coffee.
Whizzco for FAP