Five things you can do in Adopt-a-Dog Month
October is a special month for dogs in need of a home. It’s National Adopt-a-Shelter-Dog Month! Thousands of pooches all across the country need people to open their doors and provide a home. So what can you do? Here are five ways you can participate this month.
- Adopt! It’s the best way to make a major contribution. While it’s a big undertaking, adoption directly changes a dog’s life. Click here to find a nearby shelter. Or start your search on Petfinder.
- Volunteer at your local shelter. Love dogs but not sure if you’re ready for a significant commitment yet? Spend time at your local shelter. Staff members are always looking for responsible and eager volunteers.
- Donate to your local shelter. Don’t have the free time to be there in person? Try these do-it-yourself donation ideas courtesy of the Anti-Cruelty Society in Chicago.
- Encourage your friends to consider adoption. Know someone who’s thinking about getting a dog? Ask if they have thought about adopting. An estimated 3.7 million pets are euthanized each year, according to the American Humane Association. Adoption gives a dog a second chance and may even save its life.
- Attend an event at your local shelter. You could learn about dog first aid or how to cope with the loss of a dog.
How are you celebrating? Let us know in the comments!