The Unlikely Friendship Between Rex the Dog and Hummer the Hummingbird
Rex was a street-smart dog with a troubled past. Hummer was a tiny hummingbird in need of help. What happens when dog meets bird?
Their unique friendship, forged by fate and compassion, has captured the hearts of many and serves as a testament to the power of love, kindness, and second chances.
Rex’s Journey from the Streets to a Hero’s Heart
According to a post from rescuepetsofinstagram, Rex’s life took a dramatic turn when he was adopted by Ed Gernon. Before finding a loving home, Rex had been a stray, surviving on the unforgiving streets. He had a reputation for getting into fights with other dogs and even attacking cats. However, the transformative power of love and care began to work its magic in his life.
The Rescue Mission
One day, while out for a walk in sunny California, Rex spotted a fragile hummingbird on the ground, covered in ants. Initially, it seemed as though the bird was lifeless.
Most dogs might have ignored the tiny creature, but not Rex. He refused to leave the hummingbird behind, signaling a change in his behavior and a newfound tenderness.
Gernon was equally moved by the situation. He believed the hummingbird was beyond help, but he decided to give it a chance.
Over the following weeks, Gernon tirelessly nursed the delicate bird back to health. He fed her a sugar formula every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day. To help her regain the ability to fly, he used a hairdryer, teaching her the skies once again.
A Blossoming Friendship
A year later, the hummingbird, lovingly named Hummer, now calls Gernon’s home her own. But, what’s truly heartwarming is the bond that has formed between Rex and Hummer.
Rex allows Hummer to drink and bathe in his water bowl, demonstrating an endearing act of friendship. Hummer, in return, has developed a deep affection for Rex, rarely leaving his side.
A Miracle of Love
Gernon beautifully encapsulates their unique bond, comparing it to living with Tinkerbell. As Hummer continues to thrive in their home, Gernon leaves doors and windows open, hoping she’ll explore the world beyond. But while she’s with them, her presence touches their lives in profound ways.
Gernon poignantly sums it up, “I rescue this dog, he rescues the bird. The bird rescues all of us in a weird sense, and it’s just a miracle.”
The Heartwarming Response
The heartwarming story of Rex and Hummer has touched the hearts of many, as seen in the Instagram comments.
- maddie4905: “This was an inspiration to me. Adopt, do not shop no matter what you’re looking for. Some will come right to you. I have 2 that chose me. They are loved like family because they are. ♥️”
- corbetkate63: “I truly love this story! Please keep me posted on this story, it’s very Heartfelt! We all need this at this time in All Our Lives! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️”
- tamiwaka: “I had a hummingbird come to my deck and I would joke that it and my kitty were friends. One day, I had my patio door open and my cat was not on the deck. The hummingbird flew inside looking for her!!!”
- christie.marie219: “What a beautiful magical story showing the power of love ❤️ so happy for them.”
- stevenshoresart: “I love this family!!! What a great story. You made my day!”
- gigigina5: “Woohoo for Rex and his dad …. Both are HEROES ♂️”
- yayarightminded: “Like how there is horses Equestrian therapy, Dogs should have theirs. My dog befriended a homeless cat that was scary & traumatized. They’d play, we kept feeding till it warmed up and chose her last years as our house cat.”
- randallbassett: “A great story of rescue and new beginnings.”
- andybuck9916: “Great story. What an experience! ❤️”
- gm171618: “What a beautiful thing to do ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️”
- joannesulli: “What a beautiful family ❣️ Thanks for loving our animal friends ❤️ They are such a gift to be appreciated ❤️❣️”
- dee.j.luttrell430: “Such a precious story! It makes me happy! We NEED to hear good news every day- with so much war around. There is hope.”
Love knows no bounds, and Rex and Hummer’s friendship is a reminder of the miracles that can happen when we open our hearts to those in need, regardless of their size or species.
See for yourself below!