If You’re A Pet Owner — Think Twice Before Getting These Plants!FamilyPet
When it comes to my home, I want it to be as inviting as my motherâ€™s home. Whether itâ€™s a new area rug or some vibrant flowers on the kitchen table, I like to make it as visually appealing as I can. However,Â as everyone should already know, certain plants can be toxic to household pets.
Now that Iâ€™m a new pet owner I want to be sure that my pets can safely roam my home without worry, so I did some research. I found the 10 most toxic plants, thanks to Vetstreet.com, every pet owner should stay away from when decorating their home with some decadent foliage.
- The corn plant (or little palm tree as I always called it) is toxic to dogs and cats and is not one to mess with. It can cause very aggressive vomiting, appetite loss, and increased salivation.
- Dieffenbachia (dief-fen-bach-ia), (commonly known as dumb cane), will cause oral irritation of the tongue and lips. Maybe itâ€™s called dumb cane on account of its scientific name! Talk about a challenge to pronounce.
- Elephant ear, this one caught me off guard! I had no idea the Elephant ear plant was toxic to animals. If ingested it can cause oral irritation, much like the Dieffenbachia plant. The two plants are very similar visually as well.
- Itâ€™s more than a beautiful plant or a lovely nameâ€¦ Lilies are toxic to the feline family along with some Lilies being toxic to dogs. If a cat happens to ingest a Lilie, kidney failure and death can quickly occur if left untreated. The Peace Lily is toxic to both dogs and cats.
- Cyclamen is a plant Iâ€™ve never heard of. Itâ€™s toxic to both dogs and cats and when ingested can cause vomiting and diarrhea. If a large amount of this plant is ingested, heart rhythm abnormalities, seizures, and even death can occur.
- Heartleaf Philodendron (phil-o-den-dron), also known as the fruit salad plant, is toxic to both dogs and cats. If ingested, increased salivation and difficulty swallowing can occur.
- Jade Plant, everyone should know what this plant is; itâ€™s in just about every hotel Iâ€™ve ever stayed at. Itâ€™s that fake, waxy looking plant you see and canâ€™t decide if itâ€™s real or fake so you tear one of the leaves, come to find out itâ€™s definitely real. This plant is toxic to both cats and dogs. If ingested, it can cause vomiting, depression, and dis-coordination.
- The aloe plant may be used by humans for a sense of relief, but this common plant can cause total discomfort to dogs and cats. The after effects from being ingested can cause vomiting and/or reddish urine.
- Satin Pothos can be toxic to dogs and cats when ingested. Just about every teacher in my grade school had a plant like this on their desk. Every summer it would double in size, eventually retiring from the desk and moving to the windowsill turning the classroom into a scene from Little Shop of Horrors.