Proper FAP familypet_belowtitle

Dog Is Back To Normal After Ingesting Weed-Laced Cookie, But Now The Family Is Warning Others

Peanut the chihuahua gave his family quite the scare after mistakenly ingesting a weed-laced cookie. The family explains that the curious dog came across a guest’s overnight bag and began to look through it.

The family shared their story on Reddit and explained the entire ordeal.

Reddit: Choices63

Reddit: Choices63

“We had an overnight guest. Our chihuahua found his stash, ate an entire weed-laced cookie,” they wrote on Reddit. “He actually dug it out of a duffel bag. Had to work hard to get it. It was the cookie he was after, not the weed.”

Peanut thought he had found a forbidden treat when he came across a wrapped up chocolate chip cookie. The little animal worked for several minutes to unwrap the cookie and then ate the entire thing. Simply ingesting the chocolate was dangerous enough, but this cookie also contained a large amount of THC, the ingredient in marijuana that causes a high.

Reddit: Choices63

Reddit: Choices63

As the drug began to take effect, it was obvious that something was wrong with Peanut. The small dog began to have trouble standing, shaking and extremely frightened. Fortunately, his owner knew just what to do.

“We took him to a local university vet medical school,” writes Peanut’s owner. “He only weighs 6 lbs so we were concerned about how much he had, plus there was some chocolate in the cookie so just wanted to be safe. What was funny is they weren’t phased at all — clearly not the first time they had seen a stoned animal.”

Reddit: Choices63

Reddit: Choices63

The medical staff gave Peanut medicine to make him vomit what was left in his stomach. After a scary ten hours in the clinic, Peanut began to return to normal.

Thankfully, Peanut’s story has a happy ending, but animal experts explain that sometimes that is not the case. Ingesting illegal drugs and medications can have fatal consequences for pets.

Reddit: Choices63

Reddit: Choices63

“Marijuana toxicity is no laughing matter and if people note their dogs have gotten into it they should seek veterinary care immediately,” veterinarian Robert Proietto told The Dodo. “It is also important to tell the veterinarian the truth. No veterinarian is going to judge their client for being honest and we will never contact the police. We just want to know what is going on so we can treat the pet to the best of our ability.”

Criteo FAP
Proper FAP familypet_belowcontent
FamilyPet loves your dogs and cats and want to get them the best products and services that exist today! Sometimes it’s hard to find the best pet supplies or services and even when you find them they can be very expensive! We started FamilyPet to be your one stop for everything (and anything) pet related!